Did you know that you can get your pet prescriptions at Costco? Neither did I until my dog Sadie had a second surgery last year.
As you can imagine, her post-surgical meds were not cheap. We got the first batch sent home with us from the vet and paid handsomely for it. When I needed a refill, they told me they could call the prescription into CVS.
And then when the Costco in Maine opened near us, I saw this sign about getting pet prescriptions filled at Costco. Sold!
How to get pet prescriptions at Costco
It seems that getting prescription medicine for dogs and cats at Costco is a little different from other pharmacies. For example, I mentioned that the specialty vet that did Sadie’s surgery was able to call in a prescription to CVS for us. Your vet can call or fax a prescription to Costco but it doesn’t work that way for refills.
Also, unlike human prescriptions, where anyone — even non-Costco members — can use the Costco pharmacy, not so with pets. You’ll need to show your member card along with that paper RX.
Also, you cannot bring your dog along with you on this shopping trip. Costco is not a pet-friendly store — unless your pet is a legit service animal.
Finally, the steps for getting prescription meds for your pet at Costco depends if it is an existing prescription or a new one. Here are the steps you’ll take for each.
Getting a new pet prescription filled
You can get your veterinarian involved in filling a pet prescription at Costco. So, the next time you need medication for your pet, ask your veterinarian for a physical prescription that you can bring to Costco.
Or, see if the vet can call or fax the prescription directly to your local Costco. While humans can easily get prescriptions filled in another state from where they live, I’m not clear if the same applies with veterinarians and pet prescriptions.
I bring this up because Costco does not have locations in every single state. Or in some states, getting to one may require driving to another state. For instance, when we lived in Eastern Pennsylvania, the closest Costco was across the Delaware River in New Jersey.
Transferring an existing pet prescription to Costco
Here are the steps you’ll take to transfer your pet’s prescription to Costco. One, bring your pet prescription package to your local Costco pharmacy. Two, show your Costco card and the pharmacist will tell you about the medication price. Three, if you like what you hear, then they will help you transfer the Pet RX from your veterinarian.
The pet meds Costco stocks
I was surprised at the breadth of pet meds you can get from the Costco pharmacy. And the variety of categories of those medications. Here they are broken out by category:
- Humulin N
Flea and tick meds
- Simparica Trio
- Interceptor Plus
- Simparica Trio
Pain relief and arthritis
Other ped meds
Checking pet prices online ahead of time
Before schlepping to Costco, especially if it’s not easy to get to, I would recommend checking prices online. I just did this with Sadie’s pain medication called Gabapentin. And, oh boy, I couldn’t believe the savings at Costco.
- At CVS, 120 capsules cost $30
- At Costco, 120 capsules costs $10.99
After surgery the veterinary hospital sent Sadie home with a prescription for Trazodone to keep her quiet. They charged us $33 for 40 100-mg pills.
When I needed a refill, I asked for them to use CVS to fill the prescription. We paid $73 for a 100-tablet bottle of 100 mg Trazodone. If I’d gone to Costco, it would have been $11.79. Ouch!
Finally, here’s another medication Sadie takes — Apoquel. It’s an anti-itch medication. Last spring we got a 100-pill bottle from the vet for $215. If I were to get 100 pills of Apoquel from Costco, it would have cost me $255. So, in this instance, my vet was cheaper.
It just goes to show you how you should research prices for pet prescriptions. Finally, if you don’t live near a Costco, you can always look to see if Chewy has your pet prescriptions at a cheaper price. Right now, new customers to Chewy get a $20 gift card on orders of $49+.
The best deal on a Costco Membership right now is through Groupon. When you sign up, you’ll get your one-year membership plus a $40 Costco Digital Shop Card for free.
In case you didn’t know, the Costco Shop Card is the store’s gift card. You can use it in store or online.
This offer is for new Costco memberships only or for former Costco members whose membership expired more than 18 months ago. So, if you’ve moved, there wasn’t a Costco nearby and you let your membership lapse for more than 18 months, you’re good to go to sign up for this deal again!
Also, you can avoid the lines at your Costco location by signing up for this Groupon Costco deal.
Terms and Conditions
- After purchase you’ll receive an email from Costco confirming your membership details. To pick up your membership card, stop by the membership counter at any Costco location and bring a copy of that email with your photo ID. Incentive will be emailed within 2 weeks after sign-up to qualifying members.
- You’re receiving a One-Year Costco Gold Star Membership
- A membership card for the Primary Cardholder and one additional Household Card for anyone living at the same address, over the age of 16
- A $40 Digital Costco Shop Card (valid at Costco locations and Costco.com)
- Valid only for new members and those whose previous memberships (Primary and Household) have been expired for at least 18 months or more.
- Please allow up to two hours to receive your confirmation email from Costco. You must have either your Costco or Groupon confirmation email to receive your physical membership card at a Costco location.
- A physical membership card is not required to shop online or receive your incentives.
- Incentive includes a $40 Digital Costco Shop Card
- Digital Costco Shop Card will be emailed within 2 weeks after sign-up to qualifying members.
- Digital Costco Shop Card will be emailed to the email address provided by the Primary Member at time of sign-up.
- Not valid for the renewal of an existing Costco membership.
- All sales final.
- $40 Digital Costco Shop Card is not redeemable for cash, except as required by law. Digital Costco Shop Cards are not accepted at Costco Gas Stations, Car Washes, or Food Court Kiosks.
Again, this a Groupon-only deal for a Costco membership.